dual boot FC and RHEL3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Nov 21 21:31:31 UTC 2004

Am So, den 21.11.2004 schrieb linux r um 21:12:

> Hi,  I have a FC3 box that I want to put RHEL3 on (actually WB but
> same differrence right).  Anyway here is my partition layout (80 G
> drive):
>
> Disk /dev/hdd: 33.8 GB, 33820286976 bytes

fdisk says 33,8 GB and not 80 GB

> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4111 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdd1   *           1        1275    10241406    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/hdd2            1276        1288      104422+  83  Linux
> /dev/hdd3            1289        4111    22675747+  8e  Linux LVM
> [root at 202 ~]#
>
> When I did the FC install I accidentally put GRUB on the MBR (I
> think), which removed my xp functionality.  Questions for the group
> are:

Normally grub install will not simply disable Windows[tm] booting but
include the Windows[tm] system into the grub menu.

> 1) Is there a way in linux to get the windows partition/os/bootability
> back?  If so, how?

Yes, edit the /etc/grub.conf. There are numerous postings here on the
list explaining which entries are needed to the grub.conf. Please use
the list archive search, i.e.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&w=2&r=1&s=chainloader+%2B1&q=b

> 2)  Can I dual boot Fedora with RHEL3/WB, 'as is' ?  IOW, what else do
> I need to set up, partition-wise?   Will a second *nix installation,
> 'see' and use any of the other stuff from the current Fedora install?

Of course as long as the filesystem is supported, the other Linux system
is visible for the second system. It will not automatically use the
other system's partitions and content.

> Has anyone else attempted a dual boot of Linuxes and if so what did
> you do.  Can you share a /boot for example between two OS-es?
> Anything else?

Simply parallel install. You can share a /boot partition. Don't let the
installer format the existing partition. But be careful! I think you can
offer the 100MB for /boot easily and bypass possible accidents from
sharing /boot between multiple Linux installs.

> I tried this before with SuSE and FC and it wouldn't let me proceed
> b/c it would not let me mark any additional partition as active.

Can you be more precise? The Anaconda installer and especially Disk
Druid made problems?

You know that you can only have 4 primary partitions and if you have
logical partitions then you can have max. 3 primary partitions, the 4th
will be used for the extended one.

> Marc

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:30:38 up 1 day, 17:18, load average: 0.23, 0.40, 0.41