Building kernels and moving to another machine.

Bill Somerville bill at classdesign.com
Sun Nov 21 23:53:28 UTC 2004

Hello

Using FC2, I would like to build a modular kernel on one machine and
transfer it to a different target machine(s).

I thought the 'make xconfig rpm' options of the kernel source makefile
would do the job in one easy step but it doesn't seem to get the full
job done. It builds 2 rpm's (source and binary) which get all the
compiled and linked components packaged up.

The problem that I have is that no initrd is added to the binary package
so it can't just be unpacked on the target ready to run.

If I install the source package on the target machine and do a 'make
install' it then needs all the dependants for building a kernel and
justs builds everything again.

Does anyone know a way to make kernel 'make rpm' build a useable rpm?

I know I can write a script to make the initrd on the target but what is
the point of the 'make rpm' option if you can't use the result?

Bill Somerville