FC3: "No soundcards detected"

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 22 07:13:00 UTC 2004

M.Hockings wrote:

> Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mike,
>>
>> I tried the Hardware Browser, and put the results down here.
>> Interestingly, there are 3 mentions of (apparently) the same device,
>> all 3 very similar, but none really is my soundcard! Also, the same
>> device is cited as a soundcard and as unknown!  I think I will post
>> this at the developer's list. Thanks.
>>
>> Sound Cards:
>>    Selected Device: CS4236B - CSC000      [note that my soundcard
>> should be CS4237B]
>>    Device Information
>>       Manufacturer: Unknown
>>       Driver: snd-cs4236
>>
>> Unknownd Devices:
>>    Selected Device: CS4236B - CDC000f
>>    Device Information:
>>       Manufacturer: Unknown
>>       Driver: ns-558
>>
>>    Selected Device: CS4236B - CSC0010
>>    Device Information:
>>       Manufacturer: Unknown
>>       Driver: Unknown
>>

> Interesting, I also see two devices in the unknown category (didn't
> look there before :-)  Both are labeled as Onboard PnP Audio, one is
> CSC0101 with driver ns558 and the other is CSC0103 with driver
> unknown.  Since the Crystal audio stuff also has Midi and joystick
> capabilities I will presume that is what these two entries are for?
>
> In any case if you make some progress in this I would be most
> interested.  Sound may not be significant but it is nice.
>
> Mike

Mike,

At least in my case, the soudcard detector couldn't find my card
beacause it's ISA. Anyway, since the system shows something there, it
seemed to be working somehow. So, I opened the sound mixer (KMix, in
KDE) and put all the volumes to the maximum and turned my speaker volume
up: there was it! I could hear the sounds!  What seemed to be the
problem is that for some obscure reason Fedora sets the volume too low,
and then we just don't hear it. (I tried Knoppix and the sounds came out
just right from the start.)

Someone ought to fix this in a future release...

Hope that helps you too,

Gustavo.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department