Can't install Thunderbird in FC3 - (Newbie)

Richard Ihnatowicz rihn at carolii.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 08:56:33 UTC 2004

Richard Ihnatowicz wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>>> And I thought it was the drink ... :-)
>>>
>>> Actually thunderbird doesn't show up anywhere at all on the system
>>> except from my download, so I'm re-installing  for the fifth time
>>> because something is clearly wrong.
>>>

>> reinstalling to solve such a trivial problem is the wrong approach.
>> choose to auto partition your system and then when you have a working
>> system just download the rpm from any of the mirrors and install it if
>>
>> yum install thunderbird
>>
>> doesnt work for you
>>

> I take your point but I think the key here is "when I have a working
> system". I have not been convinced about that so far. I'll keep
> trying, and thank you.

OK problem solved :-)  A fresh install and everything showed up as it
should. I downloaded Thunderbird 9 and it installed as it claimed would.
The only quirk now is that even though I reformatted the disk it thinks
my computer is called KnoppMyth and I had to amend the hosts file to
stop it whinging - any ideas about that??