acpi_power_off called .... but does not shut down

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 13:19:59 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Looking around in the /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0 directory, I have this
> information regarding the CPU. I have one of those laptops that need
> acpi in order to even complete a booting of the system.

My condolences.
> My processor
> runs cooler with acpi enabled in linux.

Yes. Sorry. I over-simplified.

AFAIK:

 * some computers have the ability to dynamically reduce CPU speed and
   voltage based on current system load *to improve battery life*. This
   does use ACPI, and is configurable. It will normally have the effect
   of reducing the heat output, for obvious reasons.

 * more computers have the ability to dynamically throttle back CPU
   speed based on how hot the CPU is, to prevent damage to the CPU. This
   is separate to the ACPI-based scaling, and is done in hardware.

   In theory, this is only supposed to be for use in emergency (if, for
   example, the fan fails).

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Dalek invasion at work today. I plugged them into the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | net: they behave better than some Windows boxes. They