KMail - can I collect mail from machine on LAN?

Brian Richardson brian at cubik.ca
Mon Nov 22 14:13:07 UTC 2004

On 22-Nov-04, at 6:56 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

[ snip ]

> Thanks for that.
> I hadn't really thought of using NFS,
> but I'll look into it.
> I guess I am slightly reluctant to use NFS over WiFi,
> as I am not sure what will happen if the link breaks
> (as it does occasionally).
>
> Also I suppose I would have to ensure that NFS did not try to run
> if I was away from my desktop.
> My recollection is that NFS hangs for a very long time
> if it does not succeed?

Yes, that would be one of the caveats; NFS will hang indefinitely
waiting for the server to be available. Running it over the WiFi should
be as secure as the WiFi itself (you're not running it unencrypted, are
you?) I'm not quite sure I understand the meaning of your
second-to-last statement. The desktop will run an NFS server and will
export /var/spool/mail. Your laptop will be an NFS client, and could be
configured to use an automounter to ensure that network traffic is kept
to a minimum.

Brian
--
Brian Richardson