I NEED HELP

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Tue Nov 23 00:41:42 UTC 2004

> Today I have got Fedore core2 CDs from my friend but I have
> no idea how to
> install it.

Maybe I can help.  A few questions need to be answered for me or others to
help you best.

Do you want to have Windows still working after you install Fedora, or do
you want to remove Windows completely?

What version of Windows is on the computer now?

> I am working on a windows based Pentium2 computer. I have
> enough storage
> space and Ram.

Is this space empty (unpartitioned) space or unused space on your C: or D:
(or some other) drive?

> Question is how do I go about installing this thing. It's not
> installing
> automatically once I put the CD1 in the computer.

Make sure the CD your friend gave you is not defective.  If your friend used
it to install Fedora, it is probably good to use.

Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD before it tries to boot from
the hard disk.  You can change the "boot order", as it's known through your
BIOS/setup screen.  There will be some kind of keystroke you must type to
stop booting and "enter setup".  Usually this is something like pressing the
DEL or F2 key as soon as the first screen appears.  The actual keys you use
depend on your specific computer.

>From the description you gave of your problem, I surmise that the computer
is not even trying to boot from CD, otherwise you would have made some
progress and would be asking different questions.  So my comments about
"boot order" are where I would suggest you start.

Write back if this helps you or if you are still having difficulty.

Erik