multiple KDE sessions

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 22 13:32:13 UTC 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 03:31, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 21.11.2004 schrieb fmdf at tiscali.it um 19:41:
> > is it possible to run multiple KDE or GNOME sessions with different users
> > on the same Fedora2 Linux box? If yes, how to start  them? Please, take
> > note that I start X automatically with run level 5. Do I have to change
> > this default?
> >
> > fabio
>
> For Gnome: gdmflexiserver

What?

I have here Nahant-2 AS, Nahant-1 DT FC3 all configured to allow multimple
logins.

I logged in at root, went to System Settings/Login screen and configured remot
logins there.

On my Debiannnnnn/Sarge box (with a runaway USB kbd) I'm running
X -query thylacine.demo.lan :1
X -query bettong.demo.lan :2
X -query dugong.demo.lan :3
to get login screens on them all. While in fact onlt one person has an account
on each of those systems, there could be many accounts and many users with no
further changes.

I can swap between the the systems using control-alt-<funckey> combinations.

You can also configure vncserver. RH does it one way, but I prefer SuSe's
which hooks it into xinetd so you get an xDM login screen. I don't have notes
on just how that is tho.

Note that VNC also interfaces (using Java) with web browser, so you can get a
desktop from my box (if I set it up) from any Internet cafe in the world.

Note that VNC allows exporting arbitrary-sized screens. I find 1600x1200 good
on the LAN - it's the natural size of my monitor, but 800x600 or so is usale
via modem.

--
Cheers
John