External Hard Drive

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 23 01:54:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 05:44:53AM -0800, ian douglas wrote:

> > make a mount point like
> >   mkdir /mnt/maxtor
> > and mount it
> >   mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/maxtor
>
> Check 'dmesg' after you plug it in, it'll describe the device name, but in
> my experience, the only external USB drive I plug in has always been
> /dev/sda1 as well.
>
> FC3 seems to mount it automatically for me though, under /media/

The original poster did not tell us what filesystem structure
is on the disk. I suspect that if it was built on NT, 2000 or XP the
type of filesystem is NTFS.

If so look for the threads on how to install NTSF support.
There are no rpm packages from RH but you will find them
in other repositories.   You can compile the module as well.
Keep it read only.

Google for NTFS support on Linux.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l