Recommended sizes for file systems

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 23 03:33:37 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:31, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Distros disagree on package selections, UID ranges, menu contents....
>
> true but point is you dont lose user *data*

You may need to go to some trouble to find it tho.

Oh, don't forget not all data are in /home. Many people need to consider mysql
and/or postgresql, maybe websites, email held outside of /home (such as
in /var/mail).

I consider the contents of /etc fairly important; I had to reconstruct
firewall and VPN settings following the demise of a Powermac recently.

The butterflies that flutter by differemt distros are just the people must
likely to have valuables in such places.

--
Cheers
John