acpi_power_off called .... but does not shut down

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 00:24:10 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>>AFAIK the mechanisms that throttle or power down processors when they
>>get too hot are *not* dependent on ACPI.
>

> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Looking around in the /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0 directory, I have this
>>information regarding the CPU. I have one of those laptops that need
>>acpi in order to even complete a booting of the system.
>

> My condolences.
>
>>My processor
>>runs cooler with acpi enabled in linux.
>

> Yes. Sorry. I over-simplified.
>
> AFAIK:
>
>  * some computers have the ability to dynamically reduce CPU speed and
>    voltage based on current system load *to improve battery life*. This
>    does use ACPI, and is configurable. It will normally have the effect
>    of reducing the heat output, for obvious reasons.
>
>  * more computers have the ability to dynamically throttle back CPU
>    speed based on how hot the CPU is, to prevent damage to the CPU. This
>    is separate to the ACPI-based scaling, and is done in hardware.
>
>    In theory, this is only supposed to be for use in emergency (if, for
>    example, the fan fails).
>
> James.

Thanks James for the explanation. It is nice that the computers have
some protection with no help from the OS.

Some have reported older pre-FC3 kernels would allow the computers to
shut down properly. I haven't pulled in a pre-FC3 kernel yet to test the
theory.

Jim

--
It would save me a lot of time if you just gave up and went mad now.