New kernel will not finish booting...help me with this error message?

Basil Copeland blcjr at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 00:35:25 UTC 2004

Yum update installed a new kernel on me this morning.
I've had to drop back to the old one, because the new
one just hangs during boot.  What I see visually is
that the HAL daemon is the last thing to load
successfully, and then no further progress.

Parsing /var/log/messages yields the following right
after the HAL daemon loads:

fstab-sync[2696]: removed all generated mount points
fstab-sync[2754]: added mount point /media/cdrom for
/dev/hdd
fstab-sync[2845]: added mount point /media/floppy for
/dev/fd0
kernel: atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some
program, like XFree86, might be trying access hardware
directly.

Any clue on what the last message is trying to tell
me?

FWIW, this messages is not repeated, and FC3 loads
successfully, when I drop back to the previous kernel.