FC3 Install Problems

Dan ml at mutox.org
Wed Nov 24 01:09:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 13:14 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Dan wrote:
> > I have one machine which mostly refuses to install FC3. The install
> > kernel does not even start.
> >
> > ASUS P4S 333 Mobo
> > Celeron 1.7GHz
> > 512MB Ram
> > Sil PCI PATA "RAID" Controller
> > Sony CDRW
> > Various Hard Drives
> >
> > CDROM fails to boot. Ive tried:
>
> What is the CDRom attached to? The motherboard ATA ports or the Sil
> ones?

CDROM is attached to the motherboard on /dev/hdc.

> How about the boot hard drive?

/dev/hda is the boot hard drive, its connected to the motherboard.

> Have you tried putting both CD and hard drives on the motherboard ATA
> ports for installation?

That is the current set up. I thought about removing the Sil RAID card,
but I kinda need it to access additional hard drives (Tho i could whack
it back in after install)

> Does anything come up on screen: do you even reach the syslinux splash
> screen (which technically comes before the kernel is loaded)?

Nothing happens at all. The CDROMs (and diskboot.img) seem to be totally
ignored. Lights flash (CDROM and USB), but the system seems to ignore
them both.

> > I can boot MS DOS and Windows 98 from CDROM on the same machine without
> > issue. FC1 was previously installed and Redhat 9 before that.
>
> Is that "I've booted them now to check everything is working" or "I've
> booted them in the past"?

Yep, booted them to check.

Eventually I went to rom-o-matic.net and downloaded a etherboot iso
image for my NIC. Burnt this to CDR and it booted fine, and was able to
load pxelinux.0 via tftp, and start the install that way.

> James.
>
> --
> E-mail address: james | It's fair enough for a surgeon to refuse to operate on
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  | someone who won't stop smoking: you've got to give the
>                       | anaesthetist a chance to get in there.
>                       |    -- "Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the Nation", BBC Radio 4

I tend to think the ISO images are (somewhat?) faulty, even tho md5sums
all match. Works on machine A, not on machine B.

I have a friend who tried to install FC3 last night and he had much the
same problems as I - System not booting bootable FC3 ISOs.

Cheers,

Dan