Digital Cameras x USB drive

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 24 01:18:12 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 01:05, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Now, after installing FC3, my camera appears as /media/usbdisk, while my
> usb drive appears as /media/SPGT-5608. Is there anyway I can at least
> change the names back to "camera" and "usbstick" or "usbdisk"? (I don't
> care using the /media directory.)

This inspired me.

I'm running RHEL desktop beta 1.

I unplugged my USB disk from my Ahtlon and plugged it into my test toy.

There was a whirr of disk and dmesg showed the disk was recognised by the USB
subsytem. Further examination showed /media/usbdisk, and a suitable entry
in /etc/fstab.

No icon on (KDE) desktop, but that's probably due to preferences.

Unplugged that, plugged in camera.
Same deal, different options if fstab.

Now, the big test:
Plug in BOTH.
[summer at thylacine ~]$ ls -l /media/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 23 13:37 cdrom
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 23 13:37 idedisk
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 24 09:08 usbdisk
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 24 09:15 usbdisk1
[summer at thylacine ~]$

Now, when I plugged this camera into my Mac it automatically started iphoto.
On ubuntu Linux it started gtk-thumb.

I think RH is lagging here. I can mount stuff and get at my photos, but it
should be easier.

--
Cheers
John