new FC3 installation unable to burn CD's

Joe Beach jbeach at mines.edu
Wed Nov 24 04:17:24 UTC 2004

> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:17:00 -0600 (CST)
> From: Satish Balay <balay at fastmail.fm>
> Subject: Re: new FC3 installation unable to burn CD's
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Joe Beach wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently installed FC3 on my home desktop computer. It has an atapi
> > cdrw on hdc. I had been running FC2, and was able to burn CD's without
> > any problems. With the new FC3 installation, the nautilus CD creator
> > says that it is preparing to burn the CD, but it never does. Xcdroast
> > hangs when trying to scan for devices. A cdrecord -scanbus also seems to
> > hang. If I reboot back into FC2 (I have extra partitions so I can  dual
> > boot FC2/FC3 in case this sort of thing comes up), cd burning works
> > fine, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Also, I can read data
> > CD's (haven't tried audio) just fine.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for getting CD burning to work? I am
> > considering removing the FC3 cdrecord package and replacing it with the
> > one from FC2 to see if that will help. Or, downloading the cdrecord
> > source from its home page and compiling it to try it out. I don't know
> > if it will run on an FC3 installation, though, since the fedora cdrecord
> > is modified.
>
> Have you tried using 'cdrecord' directly?
>
> cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom foo.iso
>
> Satish

I hadn't tried it, but I just now did. It started to act like it was
going to work, then it just sat there for several minutes until I
decided it wasn't going to finish, so I killed it. Here is the command
and output:
---------------
[root at localhost Desktop]# cdrecord -v speed=20 dev=/dev/hdc test.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'OPTORITE'
Identifikation : 'CD-RW CW4802    '
Revision       : '140E'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Current: 0x0009
Profile: 0x0008
Profile: 0x0009 (current)
Profile: 0x000A
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1806336 = 1764 KB
cdrecord: Success. read buffer: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  3C 00 00 00 00 00 00 FC 00 00
status: 0x4 (CONDITION MET/GOOD)
resid: 64512
cmd finished after 35.045s timeout 40s
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data   489 MB
Total size:      562 MB (55:43.13) = 250735 sectors
Lout start:      562 MB (55:45/10) = 250735 sectors

I killed it after it had been at that point for several minutes. The red
write light on the CD-RW never came on, so I don't think it was writing
and just not telling me about it on the screen.

So, cdrecord seems to be able to recognize the drive when it is told
where it is, but the communication is not right. Notice in the output
that at one point it took it 35 s to do something (not sure what), and
its timeout was only 40 s. On FC2 when I've used similar commands,
nothing makes it stop for that long.

Joe