yum gripes (Was: Re: yum vs. apt)

Sam Williams sam-williams at insightbb.com
Wed Nov 24 06:42:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 23:12 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 9:49 pm, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > clarification: up2date can use rhn which is completely open source.
> > You need to pay redhat for this service though.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious...is there a paid subscription to use RHN with Fedora? To put
> it in another way...does the RHN have fedora repositories?  I think they just
> have exclusive repositories for their enterprise products (AS, WS..etc) and
> not fedora.
>
> Jorge

Fedora Core is not really a "Redhat" product, like the older down-
loadable versions of the redhat distribution were. It is supposed to be
a Redhat sanctioned, community based project, and as such is not a
product offering from Redhat. The main benefit of Fedora Core for
Redhat, is it being a testbed for developing and stabilizing ideas for
future Redhat professional product releases. I don't think you will ever
see the kind of support for Fedora that you use see with the
Professional products. You will need to purchase one of their enterprise
products, if you need this type of upgrade support.
--
Sam Williams                                             samurai at acm.org
+"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers   +