SpeedTouch 330 USB DSL kernel module

Bill Somerville bill at classdesign.com
Wed Nov 24 16:48:15 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Bill Somerville um 15:54:
>

>>>FC2: /etc/firmware/
>>>FC3: /lib/firmware/
>>
>>This looks interesting, where did you get this info and does it tell you
>>what the file name(s) should be?
>

> I did a "locate firmware" on FC2 and FC3 and I googled a bit.

OK. The firmware comes from the modem manufacturer and everyones attempt
at a script to get this working seems to use a different name!

>>>http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/fc2_speedtouch_usb.html
>

> This was also a google hit. I do not have a speedtouch modem.

Fair enough, from the weight of info out there lots of others do!

>>OK, but this info is about a user mode driver. Is the kernel mode driver
>>that has turned up in 2.6.9 broken?
>

> Can't answer that.
>

>>There seems to be many different setup scripts and how-to pages for this
>>modem. Plus loads of questions out there.
>

> Often enough that means that support for Linux by the manufacturer is
> not the best.

Well they have links on their web site but they are out of date! Better
than most though.

>>I now have the kernel source package and find that the config option for
>>the SpeedTouch driver is missing even though the source is there. So I'm
>>wondering how the speedtch.ko that ships with the 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 kernel
>>got there!
>

> http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/eric_brasseur/speedbundle/
>
> This was written when FC1 was current.

One of the many bits 'n' pieces :-( My point was that the kernel driver
is not in the FC2 base line but reappears somewhere between there and
2.6.9-1.6_FC2, maybe it's just a mistake and someone forgot to do a
'make clean' when they built the distro.

>>Bill Somerville
>

> Certainly someone should jump to your side who has the hardware and
> mastered it successfully :) Sorry for not being really helpful with
> that.
>
> Alexander

Bill Somerville