FC3 kernel panic

John Swartzentruber jswartzen at despammed.com
Wed Nov 24 17:46:32 UTC 2004

On 11/24/2004 7:08 PM calin wrote:

>Hello all,
>

>I just upgraded my system and after installing FC3, when booting I get
>the following message
>

>Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel
>audit(1101046871.4294965592:0): inititalized
>Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
>mkrootdev: label / not found
>mount: error 2 mounting ext3
>mount: error 2 mounting none
>switchroot:  mount failed:  22
>  umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
>  Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>

>I have two SATA drives, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb
>
>sda is 40GB and has 3 partitions on it:
>
>/dev/sda1 - /boot 100M ext3
>/dev/sda2 - swap 1500M
>/dev/sda3 - / the rest of it which is also ext3
>

>Trying FC2 works without any problem.

This has come up a couple times on this list (I think mine was the
first). My problem was that the initrd file did not have the SATA
support in it. My modprobe.conf file was missing a bunch of stuff. When
I restored my modprobe.conf file and then built a new initrd file with
the appropriate SATA driver, my system started working. I could boot
into the system using the Rescue CD to do all of this.