Removing KDE

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 02:27:35 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 21:00, Tom Coburn wrote:
>yeah really,  KDE SUCKS!!! get rid of it redhat!!
>
>anyone who likes KDE might as well run WIndows, it just SUCKS.
>
>run  XFCE,    or even tvm or icevm or something.
>
>gnome is ok but still rather slow..  me personally I can't live
> without XFCE. and KDE is just...wrong...  too much like windows,
> crashes the whole system too often and is too memory hog
> intensive...  just get rid of it,
>it sucks...

Yur rant about kde is uncalled for.  I run it, a 'konstruct' built
3.3.0, and its very stable. I don't have 1% of the problems others
report after putting in cobbled up rpms.

>oh, and when you decide NOT to install KDE,  FIX yum so it doesn't
>install it on your system when doing an upgrade when its NOT on your
>system in the first place..  that annoys me more then
> ANYTHING........ when you run yum it should update ONLY WHATS
> CURRENTLY ON YOUR SYSTEM, not add additional programs not found on
> it..  that is SOO annoying!

Oh, now suppose you want yum to install program W, but program W needs
libraries X, Y, and Z.  Just howinhell is it supposed to make W work
without putting in X, Y, and Z?  Think about it.  Seems like a heck
of a good question to me, and a million other linux users will be
glad to hear how you figured it out.  Oh, it can be done, if
everything on the system is compiled static with the required
libraries each one needs built into the executable.  It has one
glaring problem though, you'll no doubt need a terrabyte raid to hold
a 3Gb install if everything was done that way, because every program
that needs glibc would grow by the size of glibc and its
accoutrements.  A simple 'hello world' might be 13 megabytes.  Both
on disk, AND in memory...