yum vs. apt

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 06:42:04 UTC 2004

Phil Schaffner wrote:

>  On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:45 -0600, Axel Thimm wrote:

> >> FC3 repositories seem to be dropping apt support,
> >
> > Which ones do such things! ???
>

>  OK - ya' got me. Should have said many FC3 mirrors do not have apt
>  support. ATrpms, freshrpms, ... repos certainly do.
>
> >> and apt does not handle multi-arch (i386 vs x86_64, PPC, ...).
> >
> > True :(
> >
> >> Has been some talk of an apt version able to use the new yum
> >> repository meta-data, but so far seems to be vaporware.
> >
> > Also true, but less painful than the (lack of the) multilib
> > support.
> >
> >> I've pretty much dropped apt in favor of yum, but apt/synaptic
> >> still seem viable for FC2 and earlier.
> >
> > It's also available for FC3, as well as yum/yum20 for FC2 and
> > earlier.
>

>  I do have apt loaded for FC3 and sometimes find it handles situations
>  better than yum, or vice versa. Both can be useful tools.

Same here. They both have their plusses and minuses.  I generally use
apt though.  I have yum with the default yum.conf file that was
installed with it and leave it for Core updates.  However, I generally
get those along with my others with apt.  I've tweaked the heck out of
my sources.list file.  I include the regular fedora repositories
(including updates) and along with that I have all the "RPM forge" ones
and lastly, kde-redhat.

My biggest issue is more of Synaptic vs not.  Synaptic is sill in beta
and it shows. It often fails on me (particularly with installs/upgrades)
and I end up having to ditch it and finish things with apt.  My only
wish is that apt had an entry like Yum does that simply lists everything
you can install.  I do find apt to be a more efficient tool than yum though.

 From what I've gathered it's just more efficient than yum, overall.

Scott