summary of CD-less installation options for FC3, and a question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 25 14:18:31 UTC 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>Using the files from the pxeboot directory just saves you the job of
>>extracting the kernel and initrd from the ISO image. It's a simpler
>>process, that's all.
>

> i'm not sure i understand -- you're going to have to extract either of
> those from the ISO image anyway.  or just go to a mirror and grab the
> raw files.  what exactly is the difference i'm missing here?

OK I see what you're getting at.

The answer I gave earlier was for someone that had a CD drive they could use
for installation, but couldn't boot from it. So I assumed they already had the
CDs, in which case there would be no need to fiddle about extracting files
from ISOs when they could just grab the files straight off the CDs.

Or, as you say, they could just download them from their favourite mirror.

Paul.