Multibooting

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 25 17:03:55 UTC 2004

> > Wilson Woon wrote:

> > > I'm trying to install Windows XP, Fedora Core 3 and RedHat Linux 9 all
> > > in one hard disk. At first I installed Windows XP and then Fedora Core
> > > 3. I use the Grub loader to load both of them. However, when it comes
> > > to RedHat 9, I'm not sure how to do? How do I configure the Grub
> > > loader so that it will detect RedHat 9 as well?

> > Simple.  Don't install or configure any boot loader with RedHat9.  Than boot
> > into FC3 and edit grub.conf.  Copy the lines you have for FC3 (they start
> > with title line, and there's usually three more lines), and edit them
> > accordingly.  You'll probably end up with something like this:

> > title Red Hat Linux 9 (2.4.xx-xx)
> >         root (hd0,0)
> >         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.xx-xx ro root=/dev/hda1
> >         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.xx-xx.img

I don't think any edits are necessary. Just copy the lines from
RHL9-grub.conf to FC3-grub.conf.

An alternative way to install - where no manual intervention is
required is to have a common '/boot' partition for all OSes - this way
there is also a common /boot/grub/grub.conf.

So, if you update FC3 kernel - the correct grub.conf is updated.
And if you update RHL9 kernel - the correct grub.conf is updated.

Satish