FC? as a cross-development system

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Nov 25 17:40:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 11:59, Jay Moore wrote:

> I am fairly new to Linux, and not at all familiar with the strengths and
> weaknesses of the various Linux distributions. I am starting a new
> project that will require development of some embedded systems, and I am
> therefore having to consider my options for a development system.

I think you may be looking at this from the wrong direction.

The particular OS on your development system is somewhat irrelevant.
What you need to look at are the tools you need/want to use to develop
the code for the embedded systems you will be working on.  Start there
and you may find the OS for your development system may end up being a
given.

Obviously you will need some kind of cross complier and possibly a
linker.  Debugging tools will also be needed.  So if you can find some
kind of simulator for your embedded system it would probably save you
time instead of having to burn eproms and testing directly on the
system.

Source code control is another but that is available on virtually any OS
today.

Other than that you will eventually need to write documentation and
manuals.  Tools for that are available on any OS.

A while back I found and installed tools from Lattice (isptools) that
allowed a linux system to program Lattice devices used in an embedded
system.  So tools are available for doing this kind of stuff.  The
choice of the OS on the development system is mostly dictated by the
tools you need to use.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com