Multibooting

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 25 17:42:54 UTC 2004

And for full disclosure - I guess I should mention my prefered scheme
for partitioning - when installing :)

This works for No-of-OSes <= 3. I've been using this scheme for a very
long time. (and never had a need for more)

MBR - Compact Boot Manager (from http://www.ranish.com/part)
hda1 - Windows (primary partition)
hda2 - Linux-1 (primary partition / or /boot) - with grub on /dev/hda2
hda3 - Linux-2 (primary partition / or /boot) - with grub on /dev/hda3
hda4 - extended partitions - which have the rest of the partitons
       (swap, /home, etc..)

This way there is no requirement for any 'common' boot/config files -
and each OS can be destroyed/replaced independent of each other.

Satish