success/failure stories with FC3 on inspiron 8600/9200s

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Nov 25 20:41:34 UTC 2004

> rt, forgot to mention mine is a TrueMobile 1450 (a/b/g combo card).
>
> The truemobile 1450 is a broadcom 4309. which can be used through
> something like one of the ndis drivers loaders... but you'd be better off
> with an atheros chipset a/b/g card. where you can grab the srpm and just
> build it for your kernel.

Yes, probably should have mentioned that.  I haven't taken the time to
try to get it working because I have an alternative that works OK with a
native driver.  I had some email from one of the Broadcom product
managers who mentioned that Linux support is a low priority because
"Linux users have alternatives" (or something to that effect).  I was a
bit miffed.

I probably shouldn't be, because its just a business decision on
Broadcom's part.  But given my experience on Windows, I am not looking
forward to doing anything with that card.  I think it's going to be
painful.

BTW, Dell does provide a Broadcom driver for Windows XP via its Website.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PM_D600&category=5&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=6483&devlib=5

is where I found it.  Broadcom won't, they refer you to the laptop
manufacturer.  This is a US/Canada driver; I'm not certain how to get
drivers for other regions because I'm in North America.

Erik