FC3: "No soundcards detected"

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 26 18:23:21 UTC 2004

M.Hockings wrote:
> Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I think this problem with the soundcard detection is known. (I believe
>> I saw this issue in bugzilla.) That's because it doesn't work for ISA
>> devices, as I think your board (and mine) must be. However, Linux
>> still finds it, and cofigures it "correctly". In Knoppix, the
>> soundcard configuration tool has the same problem: it does't detect
>> the ISA card.
>>
>> Anyway, since Linux does find the board, and the drivers, this isn't
>> such a problem; and I'm sure there's someone working on that now.
>> However, I believe one shouldn't have to max out every setting just to
>> hear a sound on the computer! A good setting should give you audible
>> sounds at a low setting, sou that you can have some control over the
>> volume, don't you think? That's where I believe the ALSA driver has a
>> problem. The OSS diver used by Knoppix works fine.
>>
>> Gustavo.
>

> In my case if it is making sound I can't hear it with the volume max'd
> and normally that would blast me out of the room :-).
>
> I think you are correct that it is something related to ALSA as the OSS
> sound in FC1 was just fine.
>
> In Knoppix I didn't even try the soundcard detection as, well, it just
> worked...
>
> Thanks for the feedback Gustavo.
>
> Mike

My apologies for adding my $.02 4 days late. This isn't an intentional
"first liar don't have a chance" kind of deal but I have had sound
problems on one machine (not this one) since RH7.2 or so -- possibly
beginning with a RH6.0 update. The RH-based stuff simply cannot find my
sound card (currently a SB64AWE but has been a SB16 ISA and several
brand "x" cards with similar non-results). Through the magic of ssh,
here is a look at /etc/sysconfig/hwconf (with snipping!)

[root at clem ~]# pwd
/root
[root at clem ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
-
class: UNSPEC
bus: ISAPNP
detached: 0
driver: unknown
desc: "Creative SB AWE64  PnP - CTL0022"
deviceId: CTL0022
pdeviceId: CTL00e4
-
class: UNSPEC
bus: ISAPNP
detached: 0
driver: ns558
desc: "Creative SB AWE64  PnP - CTL7002"
deviceId: CTL7002
pdeviceId: CTL00e4
compat: PNPb02f
-
class: OTHER
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: unknown
desc: "Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21152"

<<snip>>

-
class: OTHER
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: unknown
desc: "ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]"
vendorId: 10b9
deviceId: 1533
subVendorId: 0000
subDeviceId: 0000
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev:  7
pcifn:  0
-

<<snip>>

driver: generic3ps/2
desc: "ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse"
-
class: AUDIO
bus: ISAPNP
detached: 0
driver: snd-sbawe
desc: "Creative SB AWE64  PnP - CTL0045"
deviceId: CTL0045
pdeviceId: CTL00e4
-
class: CDROM
bus: IDE
detached: 0
pcifn:  0

<<snip>>

[root at clem ~]#

As others have seen with their configurations, Win98 and Knoppix both
detect the sound card with no problem -- in fact, the Knoppix CD even
causes some speech to be synthesized during the boot process.
It's not that I really care whether or not sound comes from that machine
except that the purpose of having that dual boot junk is for the great
grandkids to play on when they're over and I'd just as soon they get
started using Linux.