FC3 Freezes Every Day

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Nov 26 19:36:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 12:12 -0500, Matt Nuzum wrote:
> My computer is a P4 1.6GHz 384MB Ram, NVidia (using default nv module)
> system that is dual boot XP Home SP2 and FC3. I've used RH9,FC1,FC2
> and now FC3 on this computer.  I'm not having the problem freezing in
> Windows and I didn't have it with FC2 or prior  versions.

Do you have the same problems with the generic "nv" driver? I am going
to guess that the nvidia driver could be the problem. There are just so
many variables. For me (YMMV - YMMV!) the most stable conditions (on my
Sony Vaio) are achieved as follows:

1. Putting "modprobe nvidia" in rc.local rather than copying the device
drivers to /etc/udev/devices.

2. Recompiling the kernel with no AGP nor DRI support whatsoever. This
has allowed me to power off without a freeze.