kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 boot failure where kernel-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 works

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Nov 27 00:32:42 UTC 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 01:18, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Your USB camera would than be /dev/dsk/c2tXXXXd0sY, where c2 is your USB
> controller, and XXXX is some uniq ID stored in your camera hardware.
> Your USB drive would have different uniq ID.  No matter in which order
> you connect them, they are always assigned same device names.  You don't
> need labels on them.  I don't know much about USB internals, but I guess
> there's probably something in each USB devices to make more or less uniq
> device name.

Sun controls the hardware; that makes Sun's task much easier.

Linux has to cope with users who plug almost anything in; two SCSI conrollers
- one dies buy another (different brand), maybe shuffle.

Disk drives in RAID come and go. Conceivably a an old drive could be retired
then be reinserted in a different place.

My USB camera: my demo machine has two USB connectors. I'll plug itinto either
one. Sometimes I have my USB keyboard in there. Or I might plug in my USB
hub.

Life with my Athlon is even more interesting; it has six external USB
connectors, but as they're all on the back they're not very convenient. So
atm my USB hub is plugged into that.

I saw some discussion about this on lkml some time ago. Some of the above is
based on what I recall.

Solaris only has to deal with a small range of hardware. Ideally, whatever
Linux does has to work on everything from watches (no I am not joking) to
top-500 supercomputers, on ARM, MIPS and PPC processors in imbedded devies,
on Power, Sparc64 and MIPs processors in seriously big boxes and in IBM's
zBoxes where I/O is measured in gigabytes/sec.

--
Cheers
John