FC3 not detecting my Canon Powershot A60 camera

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Sat Nov 27 02:08:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 07:10 -0500, fredex wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 07:09:35PM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> >
> > When I hook up my Canon Powershot A60, nothing seems to happen on my
> > Fedora Core 3 system.  Nothing new shows up in dmesg, and nothing new
> > shows up in lsusb -v.
>
> There are NO new entries in /var/log/messages when you plug in /turn on
> the camera? Try doing "less /var/log/messages" in a window, then entring
> the command "F" without the quotes in that window, so less will show new
> entries as they are added to the file. Then as you play with the camera
> you will be able to see what's happening. then see if the info below will
> help you any.

Yes, I'm getting zippo for new entries in both /var/log/messages and
dmesg.

The same camera worked fine with FC2.

I'm basically having a lot of trouble with the USB in FC3.

I have this camera thing on one machine (foobar), where the device
doesn't show up at all, but it worked fine with FC2.

I have a Palm Pilot USB sync that causes crashes on another machine
(tesuji) that worked fine with FC2.  Works fine on foobar with FC3
though.

I have a nokia phone that refuses to speak to the FC3 USB as well, over
a data cable, using the gnokii software.  I never tried this on FC2
though.

BTW, is there any chance that my USB problems might somehow be related
to selinux being config'd with the "warn" option?

BTW^2, I believe hotplug is supposed to be set up out of the box on FC3.
Is that not true?