I can't burn CDs anymore (was Re: how to download kde....).

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 09:10:33 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>It's usually a bad idea to upgrade Fedora Core packages with external
>updates. Better keep FC3's k3b package, so you benefit from patches,
>integration work and security/bug-fix updates.

Yeah well if Fedora would get it's act together all the "unofficial"
repositories would have nothing to do.....

Next FC install will be without KDE and I'll do the full KDE install
from the kde-redhat.org packages. :-)

>>The problem isn't K3b or Nautilus, it's either cdrecord, the Kernel
>>and/or some configuration I managed to mess up. :-)
>>
>>It worked fine a week ago.... I burned CDs both from Nautilus and with K3b.
>>
>>Also here is what happens when I try to use cdrecord by itself (this is
>>how I know k3b isn't the problem).
>>

>To see where k3b fails, k3b's internal debug output might give a clue.
>k3b offers debug output, so it can be looked at or saved to disk.

Between the time you wrote this and the time I saw it,  I'd tried again
to burn a CD with K3b and mysteriously, it worked.....

>>[root at localhost ISOs]# cdrecord dev=1.2.0 SUSE-Linux-9.2-LiveCD-Gnome.iso
>>

>You should be able to use: -dev=/dev/cdwriter
>
>dev=1.2.0 SCSI-style notation looks wrong (I'm not sure whether dots
>instead of commata are allowed), in particular because...

I tried both dots and commas, it was hard to make out which they were
initially. And yes, I realized my typo so I went back and tried 1.1.0
with the same result.

>>1,0,0 100) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1202' '1020' Removable CD-ROM
>>1,1,0 101) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX100E ' '1.0m' Removable CD-ROM
>>1,2,0 102) *
>>

>...a device at 1,2,0 is not available.

See above.

>>So what do I do next? :-)
>>

>What have you changed after the first week when it worked?  Hopefully
>you didn't load any IDE/ATAPI SCSI emulation kernel modules.

I did one Kernel upgrade from the original (the first one of the two
Fedora has put out so far since the initial FC 3 release).  And I added
some nVidia packages for said Kernel from one of those "bad"
repositories.   And I added kernel-utils#1:2.4-13.1.39 (why I don't
know....).

>Have you modified /etc/cdrecord.conf?

I haven't, no.  I can't speak for any software I've installed though.....

In any event both k3B and Nautilus are mysteriously burning again. So to
heck with CD record. I'll let the GUIs do the work... :-)

Thanks.

Scott

-=-=-
... I'm pink, therefore, I'm Spam....