Problems updating fc3 system with yum

ra993482 at ic.unicamp.br ra993482 at ic.unicamp.br
Sun Nov 28 06:07:09 UTC 2004

Hi,

  I've just installed fc3 at my home computer and wanted to update the
system. So I rsynced the updates-released repo from a mirror and
configured my yum.conf, fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo files.

  My yum.conf:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

  My fedora.repo:

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

  My fedora-updates.repo:

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=file:///mnt/l1/mirror/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
#mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

   I have no other repos enabled besides base and updates-released and I
imported the public keys of fedora into my rpm database. After that I
tried to update the system with 'yum update', but noticed that my local
mirror of updates-released didn't have a repodata directory. Then I ran
createrepo on my local mirror in order to create the necessary metadata
and yum was finally able to update the system (at least yum said that
it's able to update the system successfully). However, after the update
I noticed some problems:

 - rpm tells me that there is no package named xorg-x11 installed (I have
the files from that package in my filesystem, but I just don't know if
they are from the new rpm or the old one)
  # rpm -q xorg-x11
  package xorg-x11 is not installed
  # rpm -qa xorg-x11*
  xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-Xvfb-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-doc-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-Xnest-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-sdk-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-xdm-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-tools-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-twm-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-xauth-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-Xdmx-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-devel-6.8.1-12.FC3.1
  xorg-x11-xfs-6.8.1-12.FC3.1

 - yum said that it had installed a new kernel but it hadn't (running 'yum
update' again installed it)

  I've found these lines in my /var/log/yum.log file after running 'yum
update' the first time:

Nov 28 01:15:35 Installed: kernel.i686 2.6.9-1.681_FC3
Nov 28 01:16:27 Updated: xorg-x11.i386 6.8.1-12.FC3.1

  So.. does yum (or rpm) have a bug? Or have I completely lost the point
and messed things up real bad?

Regards,

-- Ulisses