Fedora Core 3 hangs after 12 hours of inactivity

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 28 16:01:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 10:21 -0500, Colin Moore wrote:
> I have tried to search for a solution to this problem but with no
> luck. So I am hoping someone on here can help me.
>
> My Machine:
> Fedora Core 3
> AMD 1800 XP
> ASUS A78NX Deluxe Mother Board (on board dual lan/ on board 6 channel sound)
> 512 MB DDR Ram
> 60 GB Western Digital HD
> SONY DVD Rom
> Yamaha CDR/CDRW
> Floppy Drive
> TV Tuner Card (WinTV)
> ATI Radeon 8500LE Video Card

My box has the same board, a Radeon 9000, Nec DVD writer, Lite-On DVD
player, 2x WD 100Gb disks, floppy and a Haupage TV card

> Problem:
[snip]
> But after a few hours of inactivity (usually once I got to bed and
> wake up the next day) I find that the box is hung. The monitor just
> says that there is no signal. When I try to ping the linux box from
> the lap top I get host unreachable. When I try to SSH into the box I
> get host timed out.

I saw this once on my box.

[snip]
> I initally thought this might be a power management issue but double
> checked that stuff and its all disabled.

I turned off cpuspeed and ampd but boot without modifications so still
using acpi.

> Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

I think it may be related to the powersaving mode initiated by
Xscreensaver. I had fiddled with it turning on "Blank Screen Only",
Blank after 10 mins, Cycle after 10 mins, Lock after 10 mins and had
activated the "Power Management Enabled" checkbox in the Advanced tab
with Standby After 10mins, Suspend After 15mins, Off After 30mins.
After activating these settings and getting back from an appointment the
box hang. Monitor was still on but black. Switching with alt-f1 worked
(heard the sync click of the monitor) but still no screen. Switching
back to alt-f7 made no difference. Did not have another pc available to
check if I could still ping the box. Guess not because my email was all
queued up and started pooring in once the box was restarted.

After the lock-up happened I changed my screensaver settings to only
blank the screen (so no screensaver kicks in), all powersaving stuff is
switched off and I have not seen the problem since.

Regards,
Patrick