Install other Apps - HOW TO

Terry R. Grier terry at tigerstaffing.net
Sun Nov 28 20:52:59 UTC 2004

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:39:30 -0500
Subject: Re: Install other Apps - HOW TO

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 04:35:04PM -0400, Terry R. Grier wrote:
> > How do I go about learning to install programs that are not listed via yum?
>
> If you're lucky, they're packaged in a reputable third-party yum repository
> -- see <http://fedoratracker.org/tracker.py?mode=pkgSearch> to search.
>
> Otherwise, there's a _lot_ to learn. Here's one place to start
> <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html>. (Although
> it's a little out of date -- software like yum solves the main
> problem the author has with RPM packages.)

Wow... as a newbie.. I guess...I should have "read" more info... which I have
read.. quite a bit.. and I never saw anything about this install issue.

I basiclly switched to be MS free and thought that programs like mozilla TB,
Sunbird, NVU ... and programs like moneydance ... had linux versions... so
that I could make the switch and use all of my same programs.

I guess.. I am going to have to learn how to install these programs...some how..