How to install FC3 w/o cdrom or usb

steve_dum at mentorg.com steve_dum at mentorg.com
Sun Nov 28 23:32:20 UTC 2004

I finally sorted this out sort of...
The only thing that I found worked was to use the double load suicide approach.

1. Do a FC1 install (which would boot off the floppy).
2. copy the pxeboot kernel and initrd images from the fc3 dvd to /boot/pxeboot
   /images/pxeboot/initrd.img
   /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
3. modify the grub config file /boot/grub/grub.conf to boot using
   these two files.
4. Do a full install - reformatting the disk on the way (and hoping
   for no hickups)

For both installs I did a ftp install, with the appropriate image mounted
on another local machine.

All in all quite a pain.
If I had to do this more than once, I assume I could have booted the FC1
rescue image, copied the necessary files over and wrote out the grub boot
loader.  Quicker then the above, but lots more manual steps.  The above
solution was just a really slow background task.

steve

In message <57e4c0e00411191249686d5583 at mail.gmail.com>you write: