scanning software

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 29 02:04:25 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 28.11.2004 schrieb Nathan Low um 23:59:
>

>>I entered xsane and pressed enter then I clicked the
>>agreement for accept.  It didn't detect my scanner.
>

> My crystal ball has actually a blind point where your scanner hardware
> should appear.

Surely, you jest! ;-)

That brings up a question about devices, though.

My scanner is a Umax 1200S SCSI machine that appears at /dev/sg0. This
device comes equipped with permissions set to (I believe) 644 following
a boot. This means that I must either don my root cape or change the
permissions to 666 to use xsane.  I would really like to know the
*proper* way to set the permissions for that device. I stuck a line in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local that reads "chmod 666 /dev/sg* &" but I would bet
there's a correct way to do it.