Fetchmail Configuration

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Nov 29 07:50:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 03:31 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 29.11.2004 schrieb Phil Brooks um 3:26:
>
> > how should i configure fetchmail? - there seems to be mention of a -MTA
> > switch?
>
> No switch needed in the .fetchmailrc. Simply say to which local user the
> mail shall be delivered.
>
> > Should I setup a specific user to run the fetchmail command,
> >   e.g. at the moment i've setup a user called mailbox which is used for
> > the collection of mail.
>
> You can run it as your system user account. Just don't let it be run
> from root.

I run it as root, and as a daemon.  (This allows it to fetch mail for
multiple users).
I use lines such as this to identify and route the received mail to the
appropriate users. (linewrap may be off a bit, but this is actually a
stanza and in my .fetchmailrc it is 2 lines)

poll smtp.server.com with proto POP3 timeout 200
       user 'remoteuser' there with password 'XXXXXXXX' is \
       'localuser' here options flush

One of these lines for each user/server it is collecting mail for/from
works like a champ.