kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 and samba

Rob Saul wyrd at triskelion-nova.com
Mon Nov 29 18:56:29 UTC 2004

Last week I hit a problem interacting with a server
running samba 2.2.3a.  I could mount a share and
write to a file ( checked with "date >> file" ), but other
operations ( "touch file") failed with an IO error after
a rather length pause.  I had just rebooted recently
using the 2.6.9-1.6_FC2, so I tried rebooting using
the previous kernel, 2.6.9-1.3_FC2.  After the reboot
the problem not longer occurred.

a couple of coworkers that use gentoo have been
having the same symptoms.  They're running a 2.6.9
kernel, too.

The only clues so far are the above mentioned reboot
to older kernel and this log message :

   SMB connection re-established (-5)
   smb_trans2: invalid data, disp=0, cnt=0, tot=0, ofs=0
   smb_add_request: request [dcfc9e40, mid=11564] timed out!

provided by one of my coworkers.

It's been suggested that upgrading samba on the server
might help, but since it's a critical system I'd rather know
that that would solve the problem instead of just trying
things.

Anyone seen a problem like this?  Any suggestions
on isolating where the problem is?

thanks,
	~Rob