DVD Player

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Nov 30 04:34:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Andrew Konosky wrote:

> And how is a DVD player program illegal? I have not heard of this yet
> and am curious how that works??? I know about region codes &
> restrictions, and that bypassing them is "illegal," but what is the deal
> with mplayer and xine. I use them both and don't see how I am breaking
> any laws...

The technology to play DVDs is licensed from the DVD consortium.  To make
a player for DVDs, you are supposed to pay them a license fee.   What you
get for your money is a key that can be revoked at any time is it happens
to "fall into the wrong hands".  (This is why the current DVD CSS
libraries just crack the code in realtime instead of generating a list of
predefined, and revokable) keys.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.