Need a sniffer/password capture to prove telnet is bad

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Tue Nov 30 17:30:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 14:47, mnikhil m wrote:
> I think it s also called trunk port right ?

Actually, what I think he originally intended was to call it a SPAN
port, not SNAP.  Some also refer to it as a mirror port...  The intent
is to disable the normal Forward/Filter decision done by a switch and
make that port similar to the old "hubs/repeaters"....

But, as to Trunk Port, that actually refers to the idea of a port
passing multiple VLANs worth of information, usually used to connect two
switches together.  But, be careful, the crafting of packets on a Trunk
Port are different than the standard packet that is sent out non-Trunk
ports.  Depending on your switch it might be doing ISL encapsulation of
the regular Ethernet packet or it might be using 802.1q embedding the
VLAN information in the middle of the Ethernet packet header.  In any
event, it's different.....

--Rob