home networking: easy way?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Oct 1 20:07:36 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 01.10.2004 schrieb Trevor Smith um 21:56:

> Thanks for the help, your instructions were enlightening (luckily I installed
> the Gnome samba config client, despite the fact that I use KDE).

It is absolutely unnecessary to setup a Samba server if you just want to
access shares on a Windows[tm] or a remote Samba host and you are acting
only as a client.

> >           After a few minutes, you should be able to go into the main menu,
> > Select Network Servers.
>
> You lost me here. I don't know what you mean by "main menu" (on which
> system?).

He means the menu on your Fedora system, invoking "nautilus network:".
As you are running KDE it is certainly different - I do not know in
details as I am too a Gnome user.

> >           If you've done your job correctly, the work group will appear in
> > the window - double click and you should see all of the computers in the
> > workgroup, including the one you're on.
>
> This may be true, but Linux still says it can't find
> smb://isaac/.   :-(  WinXP may be able to access me now though (will go
> test).

Run on console "smbclient -L ISAAC" and at password prompt just press
enter. smbclient is part of the samba-client RPM. This must list the
available shares on the remote SMB host. If not you have a network setup
fault. Be then sure you have no firewalling preventing the sharing. The
straightest way to be sure run "service iptables stop" (this is to not
open up another discussion in here about iptables). Be sure on the
remote host nothing is blocking the networking too - we all know the
bloody "personal firewalls" acting in ways where users think they have
control over it but in contrast such software has them under control.

> Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 22:00:43 up 2 days, 26 users, load average: 0.42, 0.63, 0.69