home networking: easy way?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Fri Oct 1 20:18:01 UTC 2004

On October 1, 2004 5:07 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> It is absolutely unnecessary to setup a Samba server if you just want to
> access shares on a Windows[tm] or a remote Samba host and you are acting
> only as a client.

Really? That's the "easier" networking advice I was looking for. I really
don't want to fool around with this Samba stuff right now since it is
massively complicated.

How can I access WinXP shares from Linux (without Samba)?

> He means the menu on your Fedora system, invoking "nautilus network:".
> As you are running KDE it is certainly different - I do not know in
> details as I am too a Gnome user.

Shrug. I see nothing similar in the KDE menu.

However, I note that there is a "Samba configuration client" in the KDE "Start
here" folder, and it is nonfunctional (every option is greyed out) despite
the fact that the Gnome samba config client works perfectly well (and samba
is running).

> Run on console "smbclient -L ISAAC" and at password prompt just press
> enter. smbclient is part of the samba-client RPM. This must list the

This does not work, and that's why I started this thread. I can not see any
remote machines on this network, even though the WinXP machine can see my
laptop (the samba server) -- and I'm sure it can since it calls it "Samba
Server (Trevor)" and I didn't give Windows any of that info.

Although now that I have implemented the suggestions from a few emails back, I
get additional error information:

[trevor at trevor trevor]$ smbclient -L ISAAC
Server's Role (logon server) conflicts with share-level security
Connection to ISAAC failed

(Previously I just saw the Connection to ISAAC failed message.)

> available shares on the remote SMB host. If not you have a network setup
> fault. Be then sure you have no firewalling preventing the sharing. The
> straightest way to be sure run "service iptables stop" (this is to not

maybe that's it. But as I said, WinXP can see this machine, so why would a
firewall stop this machine from seeing WinXP?

ah, I see. OK, that was the problem. Indeed, iptables was blocking me from
seeing WinXP. OK, now we've gotten somewhere:

[root at trevor trevor]# smbclient -L ISAAC
Server's Role (logon server) conflicts with share-level security
Password:
Domain=[ISAAC] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
        SharedDocs      Disk
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        Printer         Printer   HP DeskJet 710C
Domain=[ISAAC] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment

        Workgroup            Master

What port do I need to open in iptables to let smb packets through?

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com