Multiple ISP's on one Server

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Oct 2 01:41:46 UTC 2004

Thom Paine writes:

> I ran into a small problem last month in that I used over 70G of
> bandwidth. My current ISP can't really handle that, as it costs him $4
> per G of transfer.
>
> I really need the static IP that he provides, as well as the discount on
> my internet, but I don't want to abuse what I've got working for me.
> Rogers Cable can provide me with internet service as well with no
> transfer limit. My question is how to set up my server best to utilize
> using two ISP's.
>
> I need my current static IP to connect to servers I support, but I would
> rather have most of my incoming connections as well as most of my
> internet traffic head out the cable one. I'm thinking that with hosting
> my own domain, I can create an alias with my cable connection because it
> isn't really all that permanent. It might change IP's a couple times per
> year.

All Internet traffic to your static IP address will go over the connection
to your first ISP.  End of story.

If you set up your default route through the cablemodem interface, all your
outgoing connection will, by default, get your cablemodem's IP address, and
go out via the cablemodem.  So, if most of your bandwidth is from your
outgoing connections, just adjusting your default route will probably solve
your problem.

Note that if you download stuff from the web, you're actually originating
the outgoing connection, so it'll go over the cable.