text vs html posts on this list...

Joey Kelley joey at rrnne.net
Sun Oct 3 20:37:56 UTC 2004

Quoting Carlos Davila <cedavila at comcast.net>:

> Hi, I recently received an email from someone yelling in my ear tellimg
> me not to post html messages to the list. Are there email clients that
> can't read html?
          Yes - like mine - Horde, a PHP based Apache run Webmail program will
not read HTML - it interprets them as an attached file.
          Also, HTML messages can be used to send viruses, spam, etc - so many
mail servers (particularly *Nix ones run by individuals or small businesses)
strip all HTML from messages as a security precaution

> Is there a list rule about what format to post in?
          Not that I am aware of - its sort of a general social rule of mailing
lists that you post in the lowest common format - in this case text. If you
were on a mailing list about PowerPoint, you could post every message in a
PowerPoint file, and probably no one would care. Bad example, but I think that
makes the point :-)

> If
> so, I apologize for the html posts and I will post in text from now on.

         We all learn - and we all have made that mistake before (well, most of
us)

> Thanks,
> CD

        Have fun, and welcome!