text vs html posts on this list...

Carlos Davila cedavila at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 14:47:22 UTC 2004

Tim,

One has to respect the culture of any individual list. I've received
enough responses to know that html posts are not very popular here and
that's fine with me....so I'll send my posts in text.

That said, I have to confess that I am not entirely sold on all of the
explanations of why html is bad. For one thing...this is a list about
Linux....so one presumes most of the list members are *using* Linux; are
there many viruses out there which will run on Linux? My last hard drive
cost about US$0.60 per gigabyte...so I'm not sure the "large" size of
html emails is a legitimate argument. The other argument was that folks
with dialup connections will have lengthy downloads...it's not clear
just how much longer it takes a typical html post to download on a 56k
connection than on a broadband connection, probably not much longer.
Also, apparently, not everyone uses email readers that support
html...that may have been a problem back in the days when only pine or
elm were around, but should this be a problem in 2004?

Regards,
CD