Mplayer

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 4 21:24:50 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 04.10.2004 schrieb Rick Stevens um 22:22:
>

>>Either install each individually or with a wildcard and use "--force"
>>or "--nodeps":
>>
>>	rpm -ivh --force mplayer*
>>	rpm -ivh --nodeps mplayer*
>

> Outsch! Though these parameters "might" be ok to use in this special
> case, it is _never_ a good idea to suggest them. There are too much
> cases where these are the best way to blow up the system.

This is true, and I didn't put on my normal caveat about the use of
those options.  Comes from being in a hurry.  My appologies.

>>or simply specify both RPMs on the rpm command line:
>>
>>	rpm -ivh mplayer* mplayer-common*
>

> Better very rarely use "-i" but "-U" to prevent parallel installs. Using
> the update parameter is best in most every case. Just installing another
> kernel the "-i" switch is better.

Yes, that's also correct.  I always use "-U" (if I'm not sure I have it)
or "-F" (if I only want to update it), and I reserve "-i" for kernels.

>>Either will work.
>

> ... and the risks are known to those who already fall down the stairs.

Yup.  I just hurredly scribbled my response while three people were
having, uhm, a somewhat direct and acrimonious exchange (OK, OK, an
argument!) in my office.
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -