FC2 on Compaq nx9110

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Oct 5 14:44:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 09:03, Filippos Klironomos wrote:

> > There's no choice for the Mobility 9000 IGP, at least not specifically.
> > No matter what I choose in "Display settings" after a reboot it always
> > ends up back at "VESA driver (generic)". Anyone had success with getting
> > better video support working?
> >

> Mobility IGP 340M on a presario2500 here. I have the same problem but
> since I don't use the laptop for heavy gaming and such haven't
> bothered to much about it. This might be helpful:

So far no luck. I don't play games either, but I would like to get a
higher res than 800x600, which is all I get with the VESA driver. Don't
know if the oe I have is a 340M or not. Is this what you have?:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5835

I'm trying the link you sent but so far no luck. In Xorg.0.log I get:
(EE) No devices detected.

> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/howto/presario_2500_vo.php
>

> > The sound is also a problem. After installation I played the test sound
> > and it played, but was extremely choppy. Now once I login, I don't get
> > any sound at all. If I go to Soundcard Detection I see the configuration
> > for the card, but hitting "Play test sound" yields no sound and
> > immediately asks me if I heard the test sound.
> >

> do an 'lspci' and see what your sound card is. Mine is ALi M5451 PCI.
> It worked well under OSS and now it works even better under ALSA and
> the FC2 kernel since it has direct support for it! So first find out
> what your card is.
>
> Have you done an upgrade or is this the first linux installation? If
> the former make sure you clean up your /etc/modprobe.conf from OSS
> remnands.

Will tackle sound once I get the video working.

Thanks,
James