Anti-Virus Software ?

Temlakos temlakos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 17:41:18 UTC 2004

For what it's worth, Linux does tend to put an "always root" user at a
number of disadvantages. (Or maybe these are Fedora features?)

1.	My screen saver will not work on the root account. The screen saver
refuses to load, and the "helps" specifically state that the screen
saver does not run for the root user.

2.	Those of us who partition our systems to allow multiple mount points
almost never set up "/root" as a separate mount point. Instead we set up
"/home" as a separate mount point (and typically let it take "all the
rest" of the system). Thus, it behooves any user to have a "limited"
account in which to do all his work.

That said, I get irritated when, while running a Windows system, I
install a game that won't run on any account unless that account has
administrative privileges. Fortunately, my current target market
consists of businessmen who are less interested in games or music or
video downloads and more interested in word processing, spreadsheet,
presentation, database, and other productivity applications--and also in
groupware and secure browsing, all of which Fedora handles practically
straight out of the box.

Thanks to Alexander for the suggestions about system security. That's
why I've recommended it to my biggest business client.

Temlakos