wireless

Eric Tanguy eric.tanguy at physique.univ-nantes.fr
Tue Oct 5 17:55:33 UTC 2004

Le mar 05/10/2004 à 19:30, Satish Balay a écrit :
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>
> > My device is usb one and lsusb give nothing but if i try lsusb -v i
> > obtain :
>
> >   iManufacturer           1 GlobespanVirata
>
> > which give no more information (to me ...)
>
> I guess this is the USB chipset on the device.
>
> > so i try to see the windows driver the .inf file and specifications
> > given by unex
>
> > ; PRISMA02.INF
> > ;
> > ;   PRISM 802.11 USB 2.0 Adapter installation script.
>
> Since this is a prism chipset supporting 802.11G - prism54 might be the
> correct driver.
>
> Doesnt' /sbin/lspci give any info on this device?
>
> BTW: I've not used a USB-Wireless device in linux - so don't know how
> this is supporsed to work.

Thanks lspci give nothing about usb devices.
So i have 2 solutions and i don't how to choose :
* Use prism54 driver which seems to be quiet difficult to install and
run for a newbie like me.
* Use ndiswrapper and windows driver which works (i'm connected by this
device to write this mail) but have a lot of problem of lost connection
mainly due, i think, because i run a 4K kernel and windows driver need
12K stack. So if i want ndiswrapper working better, i have to change
kernel, sourcecode and reinstalled what i used compiled (i'm not sure
but i think only nvidia driver, ndiswrapper and maybe kernel-ntfs rpm
which is built for 4k kernel ??)
Really i don't know what to choose ...
Eric