Anti-Virus Software

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 18:09:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:05, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:10:49 +0100 (BST)
> From: Jonathan Allen <jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk>
> Subject: Anti-Virus SoftwareAnti-Virus Software ?

> What anti-virus software would you recommend for running on an FC2
> machine ?  There are no windows machines in the network, only Linux
> workstations, also all running FC2.
>
> Jonathan

Jonathan,

A quick Google shows at least two commercial and one freely available
product.

Central Command makes Vexira for servers ($349.95) and Vexira for
workstations ($34.95).  I don't know the difference between the two, and
the marketing blurb doesn't really say.

F-Prot makes antivirus software for mail servers, file servers, and
workstations.  Again, I'm not sure I see the difference between the
versions.  The pricing for a server is $399, and the pricing for a
workstation is from $29.  Mail servers are licensed by number of users.

Clamav is a freely available antivirus package from www.clamav.net.
There is commercial support as well.

I use clamav.  I run freshclam in the background with the defaults
(checks for database updates every two hours).  There are filters
available for mail, files, and periodic scans.

I've had clamav flag incoming mail message as viruses.  I periodically
scan my download directory.  I also scan anything I download before
using it (even after checking the cryptographic signature).

This seems to be a pretty reasonable approach.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .