16k linux kernel

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Wed Oct 6 11:49:21 UTC 2004

On 10/06/2004 12:55 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Eric Tanguy wrote:
>

>> In this case i need also to reinstall the nvidia drivers ?
>> Eric
>

> Every time you update your kernel, yes, you must rebuild/reinstall your
> nVidia display drivers for that kernel.  I boot the kernel to level 3,
> rebuild/reinstall the drivers, then telinit to level 5.  Not too
> painless (with the nvidia-installer script), but sometimes I forget....

You can actually use the -k option to build the Nvidia kernel module for
your new kernel before you boot your new kernel.

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run -A

-k, --kernel-name=[KERNELNAME]
   Build and install the NVIDIA kernel module for the non-running
   kernel specified by [KERNELNAME] ([KERNELNAME] should be the
   output of `uname -r` when the target kernel is actually
   running).  This option implies '--no-precompiled-interface'.
   If the options '--kernel-install-path' and
   '--kernel-source-path' are not given, then they will be
   inferred from [KERNELNAME]; eg:
   '/lib/modules/[KERNELNAME]/kernel/drivers/video/' and
   '/lib/modules/[KERNELNAME]/build/', respectively.